Small Horse Certificate Program
The ApHC is opening its doors to registered Pony the of Americas Club (POAC) horses to also become ApHC Small Horse Program certified, thereby allowing them to compete in various ApHC programs, including in classes approved specifically for ApHC Small Horse certified horses at regional shows, plus the Appaloosa World and National Championship Shows beginning in 2021 as part of its newly-adopted Small Horse Program.
The approved ApHC Small Horses classes for 2021, which will be open to ApHC-certified Small Horses only, include:
• ApHC Small Horse Yearling Longe Line
• ApHC Small Horse Program Western Pleasure Horse
• ApHC Small Horse Program Walk-Trot Western Pleasure Horse, Open
• ApHC Small Horse Program Hunter Under Saddle, Open
• ApHC Small Horse Program Ranch Riding Horse, Open
• ApHC Small Horse Program Trail Horse, Open
• ApHC Small Horse Program Halter Horse, all ages, all sexes
• ApHC Small Horse Program Most Colorful at Halter, all ages, all sexes
• ApHC Small Horse Program Western Pleasure Horse, Non-Pro 19 & Over
• ApHC Small Horse Program Showmanship, Non-Pro 19 & Over
• ApHC Small Horse Program Western Horsemanship, Non-Pro 19 & Over
• ApHC Small Horse Program Western Pleasure 18 & Under
• ApHC Small Horse Program Horsemanship 18 & Under
• ApHC Small Horse Program Showmanship 18 & Under
In order to compete at ApHC shows, small horse owners must be an ApHC member and have an ApHC Small Horse Program Certificate. ApHC rules will apply to all ApHC Small Horse Program classes and program divisions.
ApHC certified Small Horses will also be able to compete in most ApHC programs with the exception of the ApHC Racing program and they may not be used on the Chief Joseph Trail Ride.
To obtain ApHC certification as a Small Horse:
• The horse must be registered with the Pony of the Americas Club (POAC)
• You must be the current owner, as shown on the POAC papers
• Complete the proper forms for ApHC certification (available on the ApHC website or from the ApHC registration department
• Provide four current photos of the horse clearly showing the complete horse from both sides, the entire head and a rear view of the horse that includes both back hooves
• Include the proper fees with the certification application
• Be familiar with all ApHC Small Horse Certification rules
This new program WILL NOT allow these newly certified horses to become breeding animals in the ApHC, to be used in the ApHC racing program or to be used as mounts on the Chief Joseph Trail Ride.
It will allow them to compete in the Small Horse divisions of ApHC shows, ACAAP and the ApHC Distance program.
Before any of this can happen,the registered Pony of the Americas must become a ApHC certified Small Horse and the recorded owner must be an ApHC member.
As an incentive to those who wish to use this new program, the ApHC is offering an introductory certification fee throughout 2021 of $40 for registered Pony of the American of any age. In 2022 the fee for certification will become the same as ApHC registration of a comparable age animal.
Ownership change fees for the Small Horse Certification program shall be the same fee as is required now to transfer an ApHC horse.
When a ApHC Certified Small Horse enters an approved ApHC show, they must bring both their ApHC certificate and Pony of the Americas registration to present to the show secretary as proof of eligibility to show.
ApHC rule 300, added to the ApHC rulebook as of January 1, 2021, covers the certification of the registered Pony of the Americas into the ApHC Small Horse Program.
Rule 300. ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The ApHC Small Horse Certificate Program – The ApHC Small Horse Certificate Program, in effect beginning in 2021, provides that a horse registered with the Pony of The Americas Club, Inc., and which meets all ApHC Small Horse Certificate Program requirements as set forth in the ApHC Small Horse Certificate Program rules is eligible for the ApHC Small Horse Certification Program. Horses certified in the ApHC Small Horse Certification Program are issued a “SH” prefix preceding the unique ApHC Small Horse Certification Certificate Program Certification number issued by the ApHC. A horse who carries certification in the ApHC Small Horse Certification Program may be eligible for Participation within some ApHC programs. Racing is specified as a program that ApHC Small Horse Certified horses are not eligible. A horse who is certified in the ApHC Small Horse Certification program is ineligible to be an approved parent of an ApHC registered horse.
To be eligible for the ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM a horse must meet the following requirements:
The horse must be registered with the Pony of the Americas, Inc. (If the small horse is not registered with the Pony of the Americas, Inc. it is not eligible for the ApHC Small Horse Certification Program)
The current owner of the horse, as shown on the horse’s POAC Certificate of Registration, must submit to the ApHC a properly completed application, using an ApHC-approved form, and include: (Certification will only be issued to the owner as listed on the Pony of the Americas registration certificate)
- Copies of both sides of the POAC Certificate of Registration for the horse for the applicant horse
- Four (4) current color photographs clearly showing a front view, both sides and rear view of the horse, and rear view.
- Proper fees, as set forth in the ApHC Fee Schedule. Applications submitted without proper fees will be returned to the applicant.
The burden of proof of eligibility for approval of said application rests solely with the owner/applicant.
- The ApHC Registrar reserves the right to disapprove the application of any horse for the ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM , which does not meet applicable ApHC requirements.
- The ApHC will not be liable for any error or misrepresentation on an application or any subsequently issued ApHC SMALL HORSE PROGRAM Certificate. In case of such error or misrepresentation, the ApHC reserves the right to suspend, revoke, cancel or correct the issued certificate and take any other action in accordance with ApHC rules.
- Horses approved for ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM certification are not guaranteed issuance of the same name for ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM purposes as registered with the POAC registry. See NAME CHOICES rules for rules and requirements.(The ApHC has now extended name choices to 24 characters and spaces.)
- A horse is ineligible for the ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM if the horse is an ApHC registered horse or one which meets the ApHC BLOODLINE REQUIREMENTS listed in the rulebook.(This program is not to give a 2nd set of registration papers to a small horse, but to provide registered Pony of the Americas with a venue of their own to participate in the ApHC. ApHC registerable horses must be registered with the ApHC.)
- ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM Changes of Ownership:(Certification will only be issued to the owner as listed on the Pony of the Americas registration certificate)
All applicable fees, ApHC SMALL HORSE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM changes of ownership forms, and a copy of the current POAC Certificate of Registration for the horse must be forwarded to the ApHC. Fees are determined by the membership status of the BUYER.
All changes of ownership must be current and recorded on the POAC Certificate of Registration before the ApHC will record the change of ownership on the ApHC SMALL HORSE PROGRAM certificate.
The ApHC will issue an ApHC SMALL HORSE PROGRAM certificate in the most current owner(s) name(s) as recorded on the POAC Certificate of Registration.
The ApHC SMALL HORSE PROGRAM certificate will be returned to the most current recorded owner of the horse, unless said owner includes a signed statement instructing the ApHC to send the ApHC SMALL HORSE PROGRAM certificate to another party.
For assistance with the certification process, please contact the Registration Department at 208.882.5578 ext. 300 or e-mail us at email@example.com. We’ll be happy to walk you through the process.